Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Coaching the Coach

Today I had my first coaching call with my friend Jen who is a certified life coach. She loves me and believes in TapWater so she offered her services to me for free. I have to be honest and say I was skeptical: I had a preconceived notion of life coaching as a nebulous and fruity service that anyone can claim to do -- you know, they help you set your goals or whatever. In reality, its a very methodical set of skills and frankly, I was blown away. Jen opened up my thinking and really inspired me.

As I understand it, the process she used is neuro-linguistic programming (NLP). She focuses intently on the language that I use to explain things. My choice in language betrays a hidden pattern of thought that has been neurologically written into my body and therefore shapes my experience of the world around me. I think a thought about something, so then I experience life in a way that supports that thought. The thought gains more traction with each experience and I unknowingly cut off the possibilities of what truly exists, living in a reality that supports the thought pattern. And because its unconscious, I don't even know it's happening. Super!

So, she uses a combination of self awareness and compassion to expose and diffuse the thought pattern, and then guides me in setting a new intention in that area.

Let me give you an example. At the beginning of our call I said in regards to TapWater "a breakthrough is not close to happening." She asked me a question like "what makes you say that" and after a couple exchanges she said, "You have bought into the belief that a breakthrough is not close to happening. And as long as you believe that, it will not happen. So I want you to write down:

I forgive myself for buying into the belief that a breakthrough is not close to happening.

So, I wrote it down. And then, I started to cry. Apparently, I needed to be forgiven for this. Then she said, "Now I want you to write:

The truth is ...

So, I wrote it down. "What is the truth, anne?" She asked. I sat for a minute in complete silence. I have no idea. She waited. Then, with a little help, I said,

The truth is I don't know how close the breakthroughs are.

Then I felt it. I felt a shift in my cellular structure. My posture became erect, my shoulders went back, I felt lighter, I felt more confident. It was the truth - I really didn't know when we were going to have a breakthrough -- in fact, it could be tomorrow. My brain opened up and possibility came rushing in. I smiled.

And then, the kicker, she said "So, what do you intend for a breakthrough?" Again I sat quietly on the other end of the phone. After a moment I said "I intend to have three breakthroughs by June 1st." And she said, "what are they?" And then I told her to sign TapWater with a boutique booking agency, to get them an opening spot on a tour with a big band, and to form a fantastic partnership with Joe Trippi.

We continued for an hour where she went through a series of things like this, each time opening up my thinking. Write down "I forgive myself for buying into the belief that...", Now write down "The truth is..." She was so quick and so skilled and by the end I was a shiny new woman, excited about my path and my life, and believing in myself more than ever.

Thank You so much, Jen, for your time and expertise. You are a blessing. And for any of you readers out there, Jen is the best. If you would like to get in touch with her for coaching, email me and I will gladly connect you.

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff, eh? It's nice when the truth turns out to be better than a limiting belief. Opens doors! Wishing you much love and laughter and breakthroughs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of belief works in mysterious ways...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are closer than you realize....

    ReplyDelete