Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tweet Tweet: Discovering Twitter

Okay, so I am learning to use Twitter. Have you all heard of this? It's microblogging -- you post messages of 140 characters or less, which is basically the length of a text message. And each time you do post, it's called a tweet. I've done a little reading on it and I guess the point behind it is to keep up with a community of people on a moment-to-moment basis.

For example, you know all of you out there are at work and you steal a second to text to your little sweetie. Well, what if you could text your entire community at once? This is one part of the idea behind Twitter. The other part is that you can continue to broaden that community, networking with some of the most interesting people on the planet (like Joe Trippi). It's interesting to see what is on their mind and plate as the day rolls by.

So, rather than be inane chatter or empty promotions, I think the object of Twitter is to be interesting and authentic, and when you do this, you naturally attract people. It's really more about who you are, what's genuinely on your mind, what is bringing you joy or challenging you in the moment. I think with a little time, I will become quite good at it and gain insight into how to be a contributor within the world of Twitter. I am a geek but I still wanna be cool!

Another really excellent feature is that I can actually text Twitter from my phone. This makes it so easy and fun to use. I can be out and about meeting with people, running errands, or even going crazy at my computer, and as I think of it, I just send a text and share with you my state of mind.

So, I encourage you guys to check it out. Go to Twitter and look up someone you are interested in. See what you find. And also, I have embedded it here on my blog so you can check it out. It's bottom right. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment